I write, and have written, a variety of newsletters. It can be confusing. Here they all are, listed out, in an effort to make sense of the jumble.
Some 30,000+ folks subscribe to these freggin' things.
Currently Active Newsletters
- Roden (monthly) — November 2012- (73 issues)
My longest running newsletter; most general, usually blabbing about things: literary, photographic, film-related, humidity, walking, and more
- Ridgeline (weekly-ish) — January 2019- (152 issues)
My weekly walking-related email; originally, walking all over the world, but because of COVID, has been almost entirely Japan focused since 2020
- SP Notes (few times a month) — January 2019-
Members-only newsletter; mainly used for announcing members-only livestreams, product launches, discounts, members-only interviews, and more
- Nightingalingale (daily-ish) — September 2021-
A members-only daily diary about the writing / editing / production of my next book; originally only 21 days long, but now extended in chunks, indefinitely (until book publication?)
Previously Active Newsletters
These are mainly "pop-up" style newsletters; that is, newsletters that align with a big walk or season. SPECIAL PROJECTS members get access to the archives for these pop-up newsletters.
- October 4 - 17, 2022 — Kiiiiiiiiiiiiii — daily
Pop-up newsletter 14 days of photos (and some stories) on a research trip around the Kii Peninsula
- August 14 - 25, 2022 — TOKIO TŌKYŌ TOKYO — daily
Pop-up newsletter 7 days of walking 20km+ of Tokyo each morning from 4 a.m.
- May 12 - June 21, 2022 — M,IBAW — daily
Pop-up newsletter photograph-only newsletter during 40 days of traveling Europe
- November 15 - Dec 20, 2021 — Tiny Barber, Post Office — daily
Pop-up newsletter running for 35 days as I walk 350km through 10 tiny-ish Japanese cities, from Hokkaido to Kyushu
- May - June, 2021 — Where are all the Nightingales? (WaatN?) — daily
Written during my 500km+ Kii Peninsula walk (Ise-ji, Kumano Kodō, etc); archive available for SPECIAL PROJECTS members
- March 3 - July 21, 2021 — A Cafe with a View of the Waterfall — weekly
A weekly photography newsletter run in seasons; each week, an image and a sentence describing that image
- November - December, 2020 — Pachinko Road — daily
Written as I walked the full Tōkaidō, from Tokyo to Kyoto; archive available for SPECIAL PROJECTS members
- April - May 2019 — The SMS Newsletter — daily
Written as I walked some 600+km along the Nakasendō and beyond; archive available for SPECIAL PROJECTS members
A few things I've learned writing newsletters